Thursday, July 08, 2010

More life Tidbits

I have been burning things alot. My toaster is a little overly enthusiastic. And I also did not realize that my oven is in Celsius until it was a little too late. You would think that considering 250 was the highest setting, it would jog my memory. But no.

There is a group of us that like to gather for video workouts. Hilarious. I think the laughing is burning just about as many calories as the workout! Yesterday I found myself surrounded by 6 other women all holding ridiculous items to substitute for weights. I grabbed an iron and a bottle of dish soap while someone else was holding a bottle of vodka and a bottle of syrup.

I have been doing a number of site visits. Each of our students are at different internship sites, and I am going around to check in with students and supervisors. It is a great way to get a look inside a number of leading Kenyan human rights NGOs. I didn't get nearly the comparison last year that I am getting this year. This morning I spent at a refugee services organization while this afternoon I will be at a community based school located in a Nairobi slum.

Because I am doing so much driving around, and only me in the car, I have already had so many more conversations with the drivers than I did last year! We have two drivers. Both are fabulous. One is just learning English but he has already improved so much from last year! Now our conversations are a wonderful blend of both Swahili and English. The drivers are really the best Swahili tutors and I am piecing the language together again. I had one this morning already start to try to convince me to get a job in Nairobi upon graduation. He had many reasons. :) It is true that I step back at times and evaluate what it must look like--me being driven around with a Kenyan driver. But I really have no choice in the matter and it is primarily for safety reasons. (Driving in Nairobi is absolutely insane). But it still gives me a lot to think about in terms of social and racial hierarchies. A lot.

No comments: