Wednesday, July 07, 2010

A Missionary in Africa?

One of my favorite blogs, Stuff Christian Culture Likes, just had a post on Africa. Click HERE

I just thought it was funny timing, considering I'm back in Africa, once again. I actually had a couple conversations, right before I left, regarding what it means for me, as a Christian, to be in Africa. The whole role of a missionary is so interesting to me. I don't consider myself anymore of a missionary here in Africa than I am in the states. I don't think geographical location determines how you live your life for Christ.

I never thought I would work in Africa. It's true that perhaps in the last 10 years, mission work in Africa has become a popular trend or fad idea in Western Christian culture. I guess I kind of always thought I would actually avoid going to Africa in order to avoid just jumping on the fad bandwagon. But as I've learned, the object of the bandwagon doesn't necessarily improve by all that attention, and in fact, often needs that much more appropriate help. But I still think it is [insert some profound and perfect descriptor here] that my life does find me in Africa now and it is so intertwined in who I am as a person now.

And I constantly do question, in my head all the time, and sometimes outloud, what business I have being here? And what my role should be? As a foreigner. As a privileged white person. As a female. As a human rights advocate. And as a Christian.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I am diggin' this blog, Erin. Love, Ben.

Intrepidity said...

Hi Ben! and welcome new reader ;)