Saturday, July 03, 2010

A List

of Nairobi life so far.

--World Cup! Have watched all the games so far while here. Ghana was especially heartbreaking but thrilling! I stayed behind the big group party in order to care for our first student to get sick. But she felt well enough by that evening to watch the game with me which included lots of sitting on the edge of our seats, jumping up and down, yelling, etc. In fact, I just now watched Spain score, woohoo!!

--I went to three different markets today and quite the variety. I walked some of the students to two of them although I went a bit round about way at first as I tried to remember things exactly. Fortunately none of them minded walking a little bit extra :)

--Big Bugs. I don't remember seeing this many bugs last year but it has been warmer this year so far compared to last year. I've seen one live huge grasshopper outside of a porch window and numerous squashed bugs on the city streets that are easily the size of my hand. I like them better dead and squashed, I must admit.

--I have bought my first Nairobi City Market flowers, including my favorite flowers, calla lillies. Life is better that way.

--Meeting up with old friends. So good to reconnect. Reliving memories at Java House.

--Washing clothes in my bathroom sink yet again. This time around I pulled up a dining room chair in front of the sink to make it easier.

--Crossing Roads. It is always a slight adrenaline rush. Some crosswalks do exist but I actually find them even more confusing and therefore more dangerous!

and now, bed time. lala salama!

No comments: