Wednesday, January 05, 2011

2010 It's a Wrap



I actually didn't watch the Space Needle fireworks this year. The last time I watched a Space Needle New Year, there were technical difficulties and one side just sort of sizzled, smoked and burned. Maybe I'm too unforgiving, but Space Needle fireworks just haven't tempted me since. This was the first year in a few years that I was in Seattle for New Years. I had some incredible company and we found ourselves at a really fun party in downtown Seattle right next to the Seattle Art Museum. So much fun, I couldn't even believe it was time to count down when midnight rolled around. And after lots of group kissing, it was back to dancing.

Now for some 2010 higlights! You knew it was coming.

Kenya (again)
I went to Kenya a second year in a row. All summer. I was a TA for the first part, a researcher for the middle part, and then a tourist for the last part. I loved going back because I was able to see all my friends and grow my relationships there even more. I spent an entire two weeks in Ngecha with the artists, staying with them in their homes. Reflecting back on it now--it still seems unbelievable that I had that opportunity. When 'younger' grad students ask me for advice on research, internships, etc. it's hard to know what to say. My story is so out of the box and hard for anyone else to repeat. I was there at the right time in many ways, able to take advantage of programs and opportunities that aren't even being offered anymore. I am blessed. Even when it is hard. God provides beyond what I could imagine. Really. Truly.

The many amazing people in Ngecha who helped me in my research. And supported me.



Oh yeah? That guy? Only a certain someone who came all the way out to Kenya to see me! Oh, and vacation and travel. There he is leading a website training to all the artists on their very own website. They don't look very interested now do they? :P I will say that he got some very very good deals on incredible paintings he self-selected in their gallery in large part based on his status as their "web developer." :)

A Guy


How do certain things happen when you never expect it? And someone who indulges me in my traveling!

Iceland


Kenya. Running barefoot on the beach. Complete with a random dog.


Just me and my two days alone in Amsterdam on my way home.


Up next: San Francisco, followed by Paris! Ticket purchased just tonight. Yup yup.

School (again)
So that little word, "school" just about controls my life. For now. But I completed my International Development Certificate! And I have coordinated all the logistics around my thesis. AND conducted all my field work for it. AND coordinated multiple art shows on behalf of the Kenyan artists (PHEW to that one!) And added to my bookshelf, which I always love, I admit it.

A small note to celebrate a huge accomplishment. Completing and presenting our huge capstone project to earn our International Development Certificate


Seattle Against Slavery
So many new developments in this area. I took an official position with them as Advocacy Manager. Unpaid. As is my general trend. But I'm loving it and working with amazing people. A coalition is all about collaboration and I work to network and help mobilize the community to advocate (lobby) for legislation that better fights human trafficking in the State of Washington. I am in the state capitol a fair amount and often meeting with legislators. Check it out http://seattleagainstslavery.org
And hopefully when you do check it out, our new (and amazing) website will be up and running!

I'm seeing this logo a lot these days :) And public speaking a lot too!


And 2011? Well, I plan to stay in Seattle this summer. As much as I love Kenya, I need to take a traveling break. And I'm looking forward to that. What else does 2011 hold? At least I hope? Graduation (yipee!). Moving and living by myself for the first time? Although that is contingent upon getting a job? A year of transitions seem to be ahead of me. Bring it!

Time to watch hulu

No comments: