Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Blink and It's Over

We are going into the last 3 days of the study abroad program. Pretty incredible. Internet is actually fast right now and so I am braving all the mosquitoes to post. I could crawl under my mosquito net, but by moving my computer, I am too afraid that I will lose internet!

I made it to Masaai Mara for a second time. While the animals are pretty cool (check out Mr. Lion below), it is really the landscapes that take my breath away. The savannah plains are just incredible and I saw multiple sunsets and sunrises this time. The colors--blue, red, gold, etc.--all play together in a way that makes you stare until you remember that your mother told you it was bad to stare directly at the sun. We went during the wildebeest migration and so the plains were dotted with thousands of wildebeests. and their poop--which apparently drives the elephants into the foothills. Just had to share that little bit of animal trivia with you all.



I've also visited Ngecha again and gave Ken, one of the artists, his requested computer. My experience with most Kenyan men and pictures is that smiles do not come very easily. But Ken's smile in this picture is so genuine and HUGE. It was awesome. When I return to Ngecha this Sunday, I will be staying for 10 days and rotating between the homes of four different artists. the hospitality is just incredible.

It has also been great to welcome such good friends to not only Nairobi, but also my apartment! We've already lost Mike to commitments back home in Seattle, but B is helping to co-direct the program, while M is conducting research alongside me as our work overlaps. So both girls are making my experience that much better.

I have been transitioning to focusing more on my research over this last week. I've been visiting art galleries, art centers, and talking with numerous curators and artists. While it is still very much academic research, it is also so much fun! It is such a fascinating and stimulating group of people to be interacting with and everyone has been so open and kind. Plus, I am being exposed to really innovative contemporary Kenyan art and sometimes picking up a few pieces for myself. Glasses. That's all I'll say for now, but consider it a pretty great teaser :)

I miss everyone at home! But already have less than one month before I'm back. And I'm now in the midst of research with vacation to follow!

1 comment:

Blythe said...

Yay for me because you'll be home soon! We can't wait to see you!