Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Soapbox

Ok, watch out people. I'm about to get on my soapbox because this is my blog and I can. Fair warning!


(look, a real soapbox!)

So first, watch this: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/132893483.html

Now for my thoughts as someone who has participated in anti-trafficking grassroots advocacy for a couple years now:

1) Awareness is good. The fact that the news is picking this up is awesome.

2) It's a double edged sword. When a topic becomes a fad (which anti-trafficking IS--I compare it to AIDS in African ten years ago) it comes with good things and complicated, annoying, and potentially harmful things.

3) The issue gets sensationalized. Yes, it's an awful story--but it is dramatic on its own. Do you really need to cut and paste like they did in the video to make it more dramatic? And some of the stats thrown out there--where in the world do they come up with that?

4) The issue gets skewed. Sex trafficking happens and is bad. But did you know that labor trafficking happens more? And that sex trafficking is actually a form of labor trafficking? It's a specific kind of forced labor. So why are we ignoring the bigger issue of labor trafficking? Because sex is more sensationally interesting?

5) Power imbalances. In this particular video clip, the women are victims and the men have the knowledge. The only "experts" interviewed or quoted are men. I promise you, men are not the only experts. Nope, nope, nope.

I could keep going but long rants are also annoying and could be the subject of another soapbox. I will say though, that this kind of story is pretty typical--people prefer sensationalized drama over examining roots causes of vulnerability that lead to being trafficked.

Ok, now I'm done!

No comments: